Brecksville Fire Department
Call 911 for an emergency
download the complete burning regulations here
Bonfires and Campfires
- Any fire that is less than three feet in diameter and two feet high in wood does not require approval from the EPA to burn or the City of Brecksville. The fire must be contained in an approved burner and located not less than fifteen feet from any structure. If the fire is not in an approved container it must be, at least fifty feet from any structure and approved by a Fire Official.
- Bonfires shall be constantly attended by a competent person until such fire is extinguished. This person shall have fire-extinguishing equipment readily available for use as deemed necessary by the Fire Official. (Brecksville Code of Ordinance 514.05 e)
- Fuel for bonfires shall consist of seasoned dry firewood only and shall be ignited with a small quantity of paper only. Bonfire shall not contain any rubbish, garbage, trash, any material made of or coated with rubber, plastic, leather, or petroleum base materials and shall not contain any flammable or combustible liquids. (Brecksville Code of Ordinance 514.05 d)
- All ceremonial fires must have the permission of the EPA. Stop by the Fire Department to pick up the Open Burning Notifications and Requests form.
- Fires can be no larger than five feet in diameter, five feet in width and five feet high. They are not allowed to burn for more than three hours. The fire must be attended at all times and must have fire-extinguishing equipment readily available.
- A person shall not kindle or maintain any bonfire or authorize any such fire to be kindled or maintained on any premises without having obtained a permit or other proper authorization from the Fire Official. All permits shall be requested by and issued to the owner of the land upon which the bonfire is to be kindled. (Brecksville Code of Ordinance 514.05 b)
Fuel for bonfires shall consist of seasoned dry firewood only and shall be ignited with a small quantity of paper only. Bonfire shall not contain any rubbish, garbage, trash, any material made of or coated with rubber, plastic, leather, or petroleum base materials and shall not contain any flammable or combustible liquids. (Brecksville Code of Ordinance 514.05 d)
Obtaining a Permit
For a complete copy of Ohio's open burning regulations, contact:
- Notifications and requests must be received by the EPA at least ten (10) working days prior to the proposed burn.
- The Open Burning Notifications and Request must be filled out completely. When it is filled out, it must be returned to the Fire Department to get The Approval of the CITY OF BRECKSVILLE FIRE CHIEF.
- After the approval of the Brecksville Fire Chief, it must be taken or mailed to the EPA office at:
1925 St. Clair Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
- Once approved by the EPA, bring the completed form along with the EPA approval back to the Brecksville Fire Department where a City of Brecksville fire Permit will be issued. You must have a copy of the permit at the fire.
Division of Air Pollution Control
P.O. Box 1049
Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049