Board of Zoning Appeals
ARTICLE V SECTION 7. BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS.
A. Membership. The Board of Zoning Appeals shall consist of the Mayor, one member of Council to be appointed by Council for a term of two years, and in addition five (5) qualified electors of the municipality not holding other municipal office or appointment who shall be appointed by the Council. The members of the Board of Zoning Appeals shall receive no compensation. The term of the present members of the Board of Zoning Appeals shall terminate on December 31, 1957. Those persons other than the councilman appointed to the Board by the Council shall be appointed for a term of five years, except that of the five (5) appointed for the term beginning January 1, 1958, one shall be appointed for a term of one year, one for a term of two years, one for a term of three years, one for a term of four years, and the fifth member for a full term of five years. Any member of the Board of Zoning Appeals appointed by the Council may be removed for any cause by a vote of five (5) members of Council. A vacancy occurring during the term of any member of the Board shall be filled for the unexpired term in the manner authorized for an original appointment.
B. Jurisdiction. The Board of Zoning Appeals shall have such duties and power as are now or may be granted to it by ordinances of Council to hear and decide appeals for exceptions to and variances in the application of zoning ordinances and regulations, and orders and regulations of administrative officials or agencies governing zoning. Procedure before the Board of Zoning Appeals shall be in accordance with the ordinances of Council or rules and regulations established by the Board of Zoning Appeals not inconsistent therewith. Any and all such variances and exceptions allowed by the Board of Zoning Appeals shall be subject to the review and approval of Council before becoming effective.
(Amended 11-5-63) Recommend applying before deadline in order for plan review and alleviating any delay.
PROCEDURES FOR ATTENDANCE AT BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS MEETING
- The Board of Zoning Appeals meets the first Monday after the first Tuesday of each month at 7:30pm in the City Hall Communit Room (lower level).
- Applications along with two copies of the proposal must be filed by the deadline prior to the next meeting. If drawings are larger than 11x17 you must provide your drawings on CD in a pdf format. (Site drawings must be drawn to scale).
- If you are applying for a building permit at the same time an additional two copies are required.
- The fees are $50.00 for the first variance requested for a parcel, $15.00 for each additional variance requested for the same parcel.
- City Council meets the Tuesday of the week following the Board of Zoning Appeals meeting. City Council votes on appeals recommended for approval by the Board of Zoning Appeals.
- If you have any questions regarding these procedures, please contact the Building Department at 440-526-2630.